Everything You Need To Know About Spark Plugs in Rolla, Salem, and Cuba, MO.
While it would be impossible to talk about everything spark plug related in an article of this size. This article will attempt to give you a brief overview of everything related to spark plugs. Let’s get started.
What is a spark plug?
A spark plug is a small plug that emits a spark of electricity that creates the ignition for the combustion needed to start your car. Simply put, without a spark plug, your car won’t start.
What are the different types of spark plugs?
- Copper spark plug – A copper spark plug has a copper core. The end of the center electrode in a copper spark plug is a 2.5mm diameter nickel alloy. This is the largest diameter electrode when it comes to spark plugs.
- Single platinum spark plugs – Single platinum spark plugs are the same as copper spark plugs with a slight twist. There is a platinum disc welded to the tip of the center electrode. This platinum holds its edge for as many as 100,000 miles.
- Double platinum spark plugs – These spark plugs were designed for “waste spark” DIS. A waste spark system has the spark jumping from the center electrode to the side electrode for the cylinder that is on the compression stroke. The electrical pulse then returns back to the ignition coil pack by jumping backwards on the partner cylinder.
- Iridium spark plugs – Iridium is much harder than platinum. This translates to them lasting about 25 percent longer than a platinum spark plug. Iridium spark plugs are the best ones you can buy but not the cheapest ones on the market.
The benefits of replacing a spark plug:
- Consistent production of optimal combustion
- Better fuel economy
- Smooth and energetic starts
- Less harmful emissions
Ed Morse Sawgrass Chevrolet located in Rolla, MO invites you to visit our auto repair service department near Salem, Cuba, and Vienna, MO where we can change your spark plugs or visit our parts department if you are DIY type of person to see our selection of spark plugs in stock.